Subject: Re: stray ifnet pointers in mcast membership records & cloning -> crash
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/02/2005 18:32:49
--yLVHuoLXiP9kZBkt

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:30:10PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>=20
> Sure.  My real concern is that interface deletion is not safe.  Given
> that these invariants are becoming kind of hairy, I think the only
> safe thing to do (from a software maintenance viewpoint) is to have
> interface destruction always scan all data structures that might have
> ifnbet pointers.

Perhaps I'm reading too much detail into your suggestion. I agree that we=
=20
need to nudge everything that has an ifp, so that it will notice that the=
=20
interface's gone. I think though that the ifdetach routine may not be the=
=20
best place to do it; it may be happening in an interrupt routine. So we do=
=20
enough to get the interface coming down (no new traffic for instnace) then=
=20
start things draining off.

Take care,

Bill