Subject: Re: disabling "switching" functionality in bridge(4)?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/27/2005 09:37:34
--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:27:38AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> >It can do either.  You can change this behaviour with the 'learn' and
> >'discover' flags.  Hub mode is all interfaces discover,-learn.
>=20
> Yes, thanks. I think flushing the cache of learned MACs was necessary=20
> though, but after that it works just like a (real :) hub.

Eeek, modern marketingese... you wanted a repeater(4), I think :-)

(Back then, we were tought that bridges were the devices that connected
 two segments of Yellow Cable and did block wrong-side transmissions at
 the cost of increased latency, repeaters connected two segements of YC
 and just did electrical regeneration. "Always put the NFS server and its
 main clients onto the same side of the bridge - no problem for repeaters."
 "Hub"s was a common name for both of them.)

Regards,
	Ignatios
--=20
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/