Subject: Re: Usability enhancement for IP6
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Bryan Phillippe <bp009@terran.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/06/2005 10:43:25
On the distinguished day of Feb 6, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:06:39 -0800, Bryan Phillippe wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Ever since I configured a private IPv6 network with NetBSD, I've had
> > the annoying problem of having to wait for multiple failed retransmits
> > to public sites such as www.netbsd.org, before falling down to IPv4.
> > Other IPv6 stacks, such as Microsoft, do not have this problem.
>
> If this is a private network, maybe you shouldn't have any default route?
> Would removing it fix your problem?

No, I don't think that's really the issue.  What if I have a route to the
server in question, which has AAAA and A records, but only the v4 stack is
operational (or there is a firewall in front of it blocking v6 for some
ports)?

Regardless of the presence of a default route, at some point some addresses
are going to be unreachable and in some of those cases the last hop there
is going to know about it and return such an indication.

In any case, my IPv6 autohost has little control of the routes offered it
by the IPv6 router.  The IPv6 router does offer itself as the default
route, but it itself has no default route.

-bp