Subject: IPv6 over GRE tunneling?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/23/2005 21:54:08
Hi,

I am working in a customer's network where I need to do IPv6 over GRE
tunneling (Cisco on the remote side, and a NAT device in between that
cannot transit IP-Proto-41 tunneled IPv6 packets, and neither can it
do native IPv6).

NetBSD can do IPv4-over-GRE, and IPv6-over-IPv4 (proto-41), but not
IPv6-over-GRE.

I've tried to read and understand parts of

src/sys/net/if_gif.c
src/sys/net/if_gif.h
src/sys/net/if_gre.c
src/sys/net/if_gre.h
src/sys/netinet/in_gif.c
src/sys/netinet/in_gif.h
src/sys/netinet/ip_encap.c
src/sys/netinet/ip_encap.h
src/sys/netinet/ip_gre.c
src/sys/netinet/ip_gre.h

and I think that modifications to if_gre.c & ip_gre.c to accept
IPv6-over-GRE should not be too hard.

Is anyone, by chance, already working on this?  If not, I'd like to give
it a try (which would be my first attempt at NetBSD kernel hacking, so
it will take some time, and chances are that the result will not be
"perfect" according to whatever one must be aware of).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de