Subject: Re: D-Link DWL-520 Revisions
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/15/2005 18:17:41
On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:10:55AM -0700, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 08:29, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking a wireless network card that is fully compatible with one of
> > the drivers NetBSD have. So, the most cheap and easy to find near here
> > is D-Link DWL-520. Looking at the wi(4) manpages I found that this card
> > is supported, but have no mentions of what revisions. OpenBSD only
> > supports rev. A and rev. B.
> >
> > If NetBSD supports only this revisions, it would be nice if manpages
> > explains this.
> >
> > I'm asking because I heard that revisions after B don't use the same
> > chipset as before, even for the same board model.
>
> Can you specify (the chipset, that is)?  Does it start using Atheros at
> rev C

The DWL-520 is usually an 802.11b part.  I believe there are four
varieties, two with Intersil Prism chips, and one with the ADMtek chip.
It looks to me like the fourth revision uses the 22Mbps Texas Instruments
chip?  The 11Mbps PCI series continues with the DWL-510, which I believe
has the Realtek chip.

Dave