Subject: Re: Intel gigabit card with wm driver
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/12/2005 11:06:16
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:03:35AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I've been trying verious models of Intel PRO 1000 cards on an
> AlphaServer ES40 running NetBSD.
>
> I haven't had a whole lot of luck getting them to really perform
> properly, but apparently that's due do deficiencies in the way the DMA
> is handled for the alpha when there's a lot of physical memory present
> (the system has a mere 16GB of RAM, half its maximum :-)

That's largely to deal with 32-bit PCI trying to access a >32-bit
address space, right?

Assuming that's the case, it seems like there should be a way around
using bounce buffers for cards that do have 64-bit address support.
Does the alpha PCI bus have direct access to all of physical RAM?

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/