Subject: Re: IPv6 autoconfig for a multi-interface host
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2005 17:18:50
--u5E4XgoOPWr4PD9E

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:28:50PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >I'm looking at what's needed to make IPv6 autoconfiguration work on a ho=
st
> >with multiple interfaces. And I'm quite confused. In looking at rtsold, I
> >found the following comment in the man page:

Uhm, the part you snipped is the one that takes this thread from one that=
=20
the documents below describe to one that they don't. :-|

> >So what should we do?
>=20
> You don't want rtsold (it's for mobile IP or so). What you want is set
> ip6mode=3Dautohost and rtsol=3Dyes in /etc/rc.conf, that's all to accept=
=20
> router advertizements and solicit a RA once at boot.
>=20
> See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipv6/,=20
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-net-intro.html#ipv6-intro and=20
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-net-misc.html#chap-net-misc-ipv6-6to4=
=20
> for more information.
>=20
>=20
>  - Hubert
>=20
> P.S.: ISTR there was some rfc/draft that hosts with multiple interfaces
>       should not use autoconfiguration at all, so you may be lost here.
>       See documentation on the 'ip6mode' for more information.

Well, not being able to use some form of autoconfig is lame. Think about=20
all the motherboards with two ethernet interfaces. Hook them both up to=20
two nets, and v4 works. If v6 can't work in the same way, v6 is less=20
useful than v4. :-(

Take care,

Bill

--u5E4XgoOPWr4PD9E