Subject: Re: IPv6 autoconfig for a multi-interface host
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2005 23:28:50
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I'm looking at what's needed to make IPv6 autoconfiguration work on a host
> with multiple interfaces. And I'm quite confused. In looking at rtsold, I
> found the following comment in the man page:
> So what should we do?

You don't want rtsold (it's for mobile IP or so). What you want is set
ip6mode=autohost and rtsol=yes in /etc/rc.conf, that's all to accept
router advertizements and solicit a RA once at boot.

See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipv6/,
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-net-intro.html#ipv6-intro and
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-net-misc.html#chap-net-misc-ipv6-6to4
for more information.

  - Hubert

P.S.: ISTR there was some rfc/draft that hosts with multiple interfaces
       should not use autoconfiguration at all, so you may be lost here.
       See documentation on the 'ip6mode' for more information.

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)