Subject: Re: Intel Dual Gigabit Adapter i82546GB not supported...
To: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/04/2004 08:52:23
Jason Thorpe will know for sure, but:

In message <20041104122854.GA21562@zhwin.ch>Christoph Kaegi writes

>Hi
>
>I am setting up two firewalls for which we bought two Dual Gigabit
>Network Adapters of the above mentionned flavor.
>
>While wondering, why the two ports show the same MAC Address, I

I know for a fact that the i82546EB works fine with NetBSD.  I've used
several 82546 dual-port parts with the wm driver, both on-mohterboard
(Intel server boards), and the PCI-X dual-port card.

Last I looked at the wm(4) driver, it had logic to compute a MAC
address for the 2nd chanel, by toggling the low-oder MAC address bit
of the first channel.  (I guess Intel didn't burn in two MAC
addresses).  I suspect that wm(4) needs a one-line change to also do
that for the 82546GB.

If you're adventurous, try changing code just below the comment

	/*
         * Toggle the LSB of the MAC address on the second port
         * of the i82546.
         */

so the `if()' also accepts sc->type == WM_T_82546_3. That should fix
your dual-MAC-address problem. Please let me know if it does.

>discovered the following in the manpage: wm(4)
>
>--------------------------------- 8< ---------------------------------
>BUGS
>     The Intel i82545GM and i82546GB controllers with internal SERDES are not
>     currently supported.
>
>Ugh! Now im lost. Are there plans, to support this anytime soon?
>What is an internal SERDES?

Uh, oh. The `SERDES' is the chip or on-chip component which converts
bytes to the serial 8bit/10-bit encoding used by fiber 1000base-SX
modules and by 1000base-X GBICS (GBICs are also often 1000base-SX).
If wm(4) doesn't support the internal SERDES, ten it probably doesn't
support fibre.  But 1000baseT should be OK; perhaps 1000base-X, too.
Again, Jason Thorpe will know best.