Subject: Re: Small Ethernet packet padding
To: None <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/31/2004 06:42:54
--Apple-Mail-23-667490389

On Oct 31, 2004, at 3:18 AM, cube@cubidou.net wrote:

> Also, I wonder what is the gain of making the padding at
> the driver level.  I'd like some input there too.  If
> there is no actual advantage to doing that inside the
> hardware driver, I think it would be best to convert all
> affected drivers to such a scheme as the low-level padding
> adds quite some complexity to the driver.

Some hardware will auto-pad.  You want to take advantage of this when
possible.  Perhaps a common subroutine that drivers can call is
appropriate.  OTOH, letting the driver pad also allows the driver to
e.g. pre-compute a DMA address of a zero'd area for this purpose.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-23-667490389
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit