Subject: Re: soekris 4521 network performance
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/27/2004 15:17:47
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:38:40AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> HI
>
> Using a soekris 4521 as a router, I can't get more than 12.8 Mb/s
> throughput. All the links at are 100 Mb/s full duplex. The machine is
> running NetBSD 2.0.
>
> Symptom: when handling such a traffic, the machine spends 95% of the
> time in interrupt. Is there a bug to fix in the sip ethernet driver, or
> is this something I should consider normal because of some hardware
> limitation?

When I installed my 4501, I routed about 35Mbit/sec from one sip
interface to the other with no problem.  Jason sent me a rather ugly
patch that did interface polling and got better throughput.  I have not
done a throughput thest on that machine in some time.

I thought that Jason was going to generalize his polling patch somewhat
and commit it, but I suspect he got too busy.  Maybe he could send you a
copy of it to play with -- I don't seem to have it any longer.

Thor