Subject: Re: Skipping TCP / UDP / IP checksums on loopback traffic
To: Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/23/2004 20:48:38
--nextPart4299324.dJvKr78ukf

On Saturday 23 October 2004 19:16, Jeffrey Hsu wrote:
> A philosophical point that loopback is supposed to faithfully mirror
> the same processing done for physical interfaces, else there's a whole
> lot more you can cut out, like TCP retransmissions and TCP out-of-order
> reassembly.

The "header prediction" path should handle a lot of this.  A couple of othe=
r=20
things that might make sense:

1) Disable time stamps.  We're using the same reference clock and the same=
=20
scheduler for retransmissions, so is there any point in bothering?

2) Disable slow-start.  This would improve performance in certain cases, bu=
t=20
it might risk exacerbating problems in low-memory situations.  It would nee=
d=20
some testing.