Subject: Re: Alternative approach for interface events
To: Peter Postma <peter@pointless.nl>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/20/2004 15:03:24
--Apple-Mail-7--700996357

On Sep 20, 2004, at 1:21 PM, Peter Postma wrote:

> Ok, here's a port of FreeBSD's eventhandler (and cleaned up).

Aside from whether or not I like this API (I have to study it some
more), here are some comments on the patch:

1. eventhandler_init() is unnecessary.  Statically initialize
eventhandler_lists and eventhandler_slock instead.

2. What are the interrupt semantics of event handlers?  EHL_LOCK() and
EHL_UNLOCK() operate as if events can only be issued from a valid
thread context, never from an interrupt context (otherwise, they would
need some interrupt projection, as well).

> http://nedbsd.nl/~ppostma/freebsd-eventhandler.diff
>
> I think we can also use this event system to replace hook functions
> in kern_subr.c.
>
> --
> Peter Postma

--Apple-Mail-7--700996357