Subject: Re: Loosing carrier on wm port during autoconfiguration
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/06/2004 08:27:36
On 03.09-01:04, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> >From my experience with these devices though I wouldn't expect any of them
> to work either with a 10Mb hub _or_ hardwired.  As far as I can tell, they
> work with link partners that support autodetection, with both ends configured
> to actually _do_ autodetection, only.
>
> Maybe cards with certain PHYs do better, but every wm I've run into, whether
> on a card or embedded, basically doesn't work if it _or_ the link partner
> isn't allowed to (or can't) do Nway autonegotiation.

I have one, which works the old way, hardwiring both sides
(no autonego):

wm0 at pci3 dev 4 function 0: Intel i82544GC (LOM) 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 2
wm0: interrupting at irq 5
wm0: Ethernet address 00:30:48:24:aa:47
makphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY, rev. 0

It's on a supermicro 6012P-6B with a P4DPR+ motherboard.

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch