Subject: Re: Loosing carrier on wm port during autoconfiguration
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/2004 01:04:06
On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 02:43:30PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> I have a Supermicro box with an X5DAE motherboard here, and the only way
> I've ever gotten the on-board i82545EM to work was to plug it in to a
> 10mbit hub and wire "media 10baseT" in my ifconfig_wm0 line.  Otherwise
> the symptoms sound similar to yours.  Using "auto" or hard coding any
> media type failed.
>
> An Intel Pro/1000 Server PCI-X i82545EM works just fine however.  From

It probably depends as much on the PHY as it does on the MAC.

From my experience with these devices though I wouldn't expect any of them
to work either with a 10Mb hub _or_ hardwired.  As far as I can tell, they
work with link partners that support autodetection, with both ends configured
to actually _do_ autodetection, only.

Maybe cards with certain PHYs do better, but every wm I've run into, whether
on a card or embedded, basically doesn't work if it _or_ the link partner
isn't allowed to (or can't) do Nway autonegotiation.

Thor