Subject: Re: Loosing carrier on wm port during autoconfiguration
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/01/2004 07:42:29
On 31.08-13:06, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> This is a bad idea.  When you configure most network interfaces, under
> NetBSD at least, to fixed speed/duplex, you completely disable Nway
> autonegotiation.

That's exactly what I wanted, until now, because it was usually the only
way to get real 100MBit/s throughput.

> Many newer network interfaces (in particular, gigabit
> PHYs) simply won't work (or won't work reliably) if you do that.
>
> Set both ends of the link to autonegotiate and count your blessings.

Blessing count is at least at 1 now :-) It works!
Thanks very much!

On the other side, I'd consider configuring both sides to 100/FDX
also a valid configuration. Am I wrong here?

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch