Subject: Re: "reference" 802.11(b) interface
From: Martijn van Buul <martijn.van.buul@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/2004 22:05:26
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:43:27 +0200, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:15:29AM +0200, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> > The firmware is by Atmel itself; license can be found at
> > http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/licence.txt
>
> IANAL either, but I think this is a problem: you can not compile a kernel
> that includes that firmware and redistribute it as a binary. Source
> redistribution (with firmware in *.h file) are ok.

Eep, you're right.

> Someone might contact Atmel and ask for permission to redistribute copies of
> the firmware unmodified inside a compiled NetBSD kernel or other formats
> (iso images etc.) that only contain the firmware in one of the other allowed
> formats.

Yes, that might be a good idea. At this point, it's a bit too early
for that, I'm afraid.

> > It uses the standard Device Firmware Upgrade framework.
>
> I think David wanted to know if you have any docs that would enable him
> to write his own firmware, with a less restrictive license.

Ah, sorry. I'll try to unclog my brain next time.

No, I haven't. The Atmel website only has a very brief product sheet
about these devices; they only provide more detailed specs under an
NDA. However, I'm told that they are not unwilling to provide those -
depending on what you're going to do it.

--
Martijn van Buul, martijn.van.buul@gmail.com