Subject: Re: "reference" 802.11(b) interface
To: Martijn van Buul <martijn.van.buul@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/2004 11:43:27
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:15:29AM +0200, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> The firmware is by Atmel itself; license can be found at
> http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/licence.txt

IANAL either, but I think this is a problem: you can not compile a kernel
that includes that firmware and redistribute it as a binary. Source
redistribution (with firmware in *.h file) are ok.

Someone might contact Atmel and ask for permission to redistribute copies of
the firmware unmodified inside a compiled NetBSD kernel or other formats
(iso images etc.) that only contain the firmware in one of the other allowed
formats.

> It uses the standard Device Firmware Upgrade framework.

I think David wanted to know if you have any docs that would enable him
to write his own firmware, with a less restrictive license.

Martin