Subject: Re: "reference" 802.11(b) interface
From: Martijn van Buul <martijn.van.buul@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/2004 11:15:29
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:51:38 -0500, David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:

> Make sure that you use the net80211 framework.

The net80211 framework is the bit I'm trying to grok ;)

> It looks to me like you are uploading a firmware.  Is it redistributable under BSD license?

Well, I based everything I had so far on the atuwi driver for
FreeBSD - which is under BSD license. That said, it's not part of the
FreeBSD main tree yet - so there may be some issues with that.

The firmware is by Atmel itself; license can be found at
http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/licence.txt

I *think* it's not a big problem, but IANAL. If it is, I'll just have
to distribute it as a seperate LKM. (Which it is already, anyway)

> It is my understanding that the Atmel MAC is an ARM microcontroller; have you got the docs on programming that part?

It uses the standard Device Firmware Upgrade framework.
See

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usbdfu10.pdf

--
Martijn van Buul, martijn.van.buul@gmail.com