Subject: Re: "reference" 802.11(b) interface
From: Martijn van Buul <martijn.van.buul@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/26/2004 14:28:51
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:59:12 +0200, Bert Kiers <kiers@original.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 01:34:02PM +0200, Martijn van Buul wrote:
>
> Hoi Martijn,
>
> Have you seen the docs on http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/NetBSD/ ?

Yup, I did. I got the configuration going (Even though with a bit of a
quirk[1]). However, a wireless device uses an ever-so-slightly way of
interfacing with the network stack as a "normal" ethernet adapter.
That's the bit I'm wondering about.

[1] A bit beyond the scope of this mailinglist, but said device uses a
process called DFU to upload firmware to the device at powerup.
Unfortunately, this requires the host to re-enumerate the USB device,
something which I haven't been able to achieve under NetBSD. There is
a FreeBSD patch for this, but it's not applicable (Under NetBSD, the
USB_ATTACH routines do not have a return value. Under Free, they
have). I'm currently using a bit of a kludgy workaround: Partially
remove the USB connector. It's possible to disconnect the data leads
before disconnecting the power - making the USB controller believe
that the device has been unplugged. When plugged back in, everything
goes as planned:

awue0 at uhub1 port 2
awue0: Atmel product 0x7614, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
awue0: Loading rfmd2958_smc firmware.
awue0:internal upload done.

The attach routine returns with an error here, but that's casted away..

[wiggle]

awue0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 3) disconnected
awue0 detached
awue0 at uhub1 port 2
awue0: Atmel product 0x7614, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
awue0: external upload done
awue0: trying to get rfmd config
awue0: firmware: maj:1 min:102 patch:0 build:113
awue0: Ethernet address 00:04:e2:a9:ef:ec

--
Martijn van Buul, martijn.van.buul@gmail.com