Subject: Re: FYI: RST-ACK patent
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/26/2004 03:01:17
> For open-source entities, it's problematic, because we now have to
> choose to EITHER, NOT apply an IETF recommended change, OR encumber
> our sources.

Only for NetBSD - and other USA entity - values of "we".  (Which
admittedly is not inappropriate to assume on this list, but David did
say "open-source entities".)  Certainly not for all open-source work.

Unless Cisco went to the trouble to file for patents elsewhere, which I
rather doubt they did (and in most jurisdictions, can't do now; the USA
is unique, or nearly so, in having that one-year grace period...or was
last I heard; it's been a while).

Furthermore, if I ever saw a case for overturning a patent on
public-interest grounds.... :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign