Subject: Re: atheros 5212 card in adhoc mode and "no buffer space"
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Konstantin Kabassanov <Konstantin.Kabassanov@lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/11/2004 12:00:22
On Sun, 9 May 2004, David Young wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 03:15:02 -0500
> From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
> To: tech-net@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: atheros 5212 card in adhoc mode and "no buffer space"
>
> On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 08:09:38PM +0200, Konstantin KABASSANOV wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just updated my netbsd sources via CVS and compiled a new kernel. I
> > try to make an adhoc network between two Netgear WG511T Atheros chipset
> > cards. When I'm trying to send any data between them, I receive the
> > following message:
> >
> > ath0: bogus xmit rate 0x0
>
> Konstantin,
>
> I can reproduce in my office.  Here is a patch that fixed it for me.
> Please update sys/net80211/ and give it a try.  Let me know right away if
> you see any more problems, since they will probably harm my network, too.
> Also, let me know if "no buffer space" persists or not.
>
> BTW, it appears that we are both working on multihop wireless networks
> (you mention OLSR on a KAME.net mailing list).  Have you found out yet
> whether ath(4)-type hardware does a proper IBSS merge?  For atw(4),
> I had to write some special code for the purpose.
>
> Dave

Dave,

Sorry for the delayed answer.

The bogus xmit rate has gone. Thanks.
Concerning the message "no buffer space", I can still see it when I use
iperf on both PCs (with WG511T carss) and try to send traffic over 6Mbps.

I observed the following bugs with Netgear WAG511.  Adhoc mode is not
working if I don't limit the media to less or
OFDM24. If I do so, I need to put the interface corresponding to the BSSID
down and bring it up again, because if I don't do this, it still announces
all available rates. The "write failed: no buffer space available"
reappeares as for WG511T, but for WAG511 cards, that occurs if the traffic
goes over 600K !!!

When trying to use 3CRPAG175 cards in adhoc mode it doesn't work at all.

Generally I have always the following message: ath0: unable to reset
hardware; hal status 3 if I try to modify an interface parameter when the
interface is up. ifconfig ath0 down and ifconfiga ath0 up solves the
problem.

Concerning the multihop wireless networks, you are right I'm working in
this domain. I'm not really sure that ath-type hardware does a proper IBSS
merge. I'm actually testing ... That could be the explanation for the
3CRPAG175 problems...

Konstantin