Subject: Re: Problems with outgoing routing of UDP packets
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/2004 01:26:49
There are people who use NetBSD as a router with BGP; some of them
were asking for TCP-MD5 support here on tech-net just the other day.
I have a Cisco that is part of the default-free zone. Here is what it
said just a minute ago:

gw>sh ip bgp sum
BGP router identifier X.X.X.X, local AS number XXX
BGP table version is 206320, main routing table version 206320
132658 network entries and 132657 paths using 17643478 bytes of memory
26610 BGP path attribute entries using 1597560 bytes of memory
24072 BGP AS-PATH entries using 647610 bytes of memory
0 BGP route-map cache entries using 0 bytes of memory
26625 BGP filter-list cache entries using 319500 bytes of memory
BGP activity 139946/8693 prefixes, 142328/9671 paths, scan interval 60 secs

I think that it is important that we think about this case when we
make changes to the routing code, just as much as we think about the
degenerate case with one network I/F and a static default route.

We also need to pay attention to the fact that NetBSD runs on some
very old machines with limited RAM, e.g. Sun2, Sun3, Atari, Amiga,
etc. We need to be careful with kernel RAM.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>