Subject: ath Atheros driver no buffer space available and can't power off
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/21/2004 05:01:36
Greetings:

I am using the "ath" driver from NetBSD-current on a Atheros 5212 mini-pci
type IIIB card on my JVC-Victor Interlink MP-XP7310 sub-notebook.  In
general the Atheros card appears to work fine, but I have noticed the
following bugs in NetBSD-current:

1) Every 15 mins or so of light but contineous network activity, like
	SSH and web page browsing, the ath driver would temporarily halt
	all network activity for about 3-5 mins, and if I attempt a ping
	to a local machine on the lan I get:

	ping: sendto: No buffer space available

2) There does not appear to be a way to power off the Atheros card; not
	even "ifconfig ath0 down" turns off the radio in the card, and
	I noticed that the battery drain of my laptop is the same
	whether or not ath0 is ifconfig'ed up or down.

	This might be due to the fact that the Atheros card I am using
	was borrowed from a D-Link Wi/Fi router and may have its power
	ON/OFF functionality removed in hardware.  Not being a hardware
	person, I am only guessing.

Thanks in advance.
Alicia.