Subject: Re: Multicast and PIM
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/10/2004 14:19:19
On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:04:15AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > > The searches I did for pimd shows that some kernel patches were required
> > > in 2001. Were they integrated since that time?
> > No, but I have a patched 1.6.x source tree. Let me know if you're interested.
>
> I am.

ftp://antioche.lip6.fr/pub/bouyer/netbsd-1-6-pim.tgz

> What about integrating this in the source tree? Is there a good reason
> why these are pending patches?

Mostly because nobody really took care of them I guess.
Another problem is that this pim implementation isn't maintained any more
by the author, which mean we would have to do it ourselve.

> Other question: In order to get through a gateway that won't do any
> multicast routing (ie: anything getting on one side should go on the
> other one), do I really need to run pimd? Coulnd't I just do some packet
> forwarding using IPFilter?
>
> Something like
> pass in on fxp0 to fxp1 from any to 224.0.0.0/3
> pass in on fxp1 to fxp0 from any to 224.0.0.0/3

I'm not sure this is enouth. There would probably be issues with the multicast
filters on the ethernet interfaces, and more generally with the dvmrp
protocol.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>