Subject: Re: if_null
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/08/2004 01:43:34
On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:38:34AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>Le Thu, 8 Apr 2004 00:18:31 -0400
>Andrew Brown a ecrit :
>[...]
>> i did this once, but i called it "nul" instead of "null".  i was
>> probably thinking that i liked cisco's name or something.  fwiw, i
>> copied if_loop.c instead, and ripped the bottom off it.  i've still
>> got it around here somewhere...
>>
>> >You can pick up a copy at http://www.machshav.com/~smb/if_null .
>> >I compiled and tested it on 2.0beta; it will probably work on -current
>> >without change.  I have no idea what would happen on 1.6.2.
>>
>> indeed, i had trouble making mine do "the right thing" with ipv6.
>> does yours do do?  for some reason, i was always able to ping whatever
>> v6 address i assigned to the interface, leading me to believe that v6
>> was something i needed to know yet more about when i had more time...
>
>Maybe because your code left IFF_LOOPBACK flag, and ipv6 code do special
>things with it?  Just a guess, but in that case Steve's code would be OK
>in that respect.

i vaguely recall that if i left IFF_LOOPBACK on the interface, it
would automatically get ::1 assigned to it, which seemed wrong.  otoh,
if i removed it, i could still ping the interface's v6 address.  i
think that's getting "looped back" at a higher level than the
interface.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."