Subject: bpf/pcap performance
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/08/2004 01:27:47
Does anyone know why using bpf/pcap would drop packets when running
netbsd as opposed to freebsd ?

In testing on identical hardware, using an identical test suite, I've
observed 100% packet capture with freebsd 5.1 but netbsd 1.6zk always
returned some packet loss (in this instance, missing 1 packet is as bad
as missing 10 or 100 or 1000.)  On this particular piece of hardware,
freebsd 5.1 is returning 100% captures at upto 150Mb/s spread over 4
NICs (2*Intel Pro100S, 2*Intel 1000MT.)

Is anyone interested in looking at this ?

Can anyone tell me if....gasp...wasabi are likely to have made any
improvements here?

Darren