Subject: Creating a GRE interface wedges my machine
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Sorin Cioara <sorin@vanten.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/05/2004 15:32:08
Hi,

(First post here, so please be gentle...)

First, I have whole bunch of identical boxes that run the same level
OS and are rock solid - supermicro 1U, P4 servers running NetBSD 1.6.2.

I am trying to create a GRE tunnel between two of the boxes, slightly
different hardware. Although I have been unsuccessful at actually
passing data through the tunnel, I seem to have been able to create
the tunnel. At least, according to "ifconfig" the interface is up, and
"netstat" shows routes.

The problem is, that while I was trying to figure out why packets were
escaping into the ether never to return, I managed to wedge the
machines a few times. I can't reproduce the sequence every time, but
basically when I issued the
"ifconfig gre0 create inet 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.192
up" command the machine just locked. It gave NO sign of life; it
didn't even respond to keyboard input. In fact, the signal to the
monitor was even cut off - monitor went into power saving mode. At
first I thought it could be a hardware issue, but it happened on both
machines I was trying it on. In fact, once the command completed OK on
machine "A" and when I switched to an tried it on machine "B" machine
"A" wedged.

I am at the end of my, obviously limited. wits here; and I am hoping
someone can shed some light on this for me.

By the way, I do have a GRE tunnel working perfectly between two other
machines, but if I try to add a third machine, for redundancy, the new
tunnel does not work. What I mean is, I have a working tunnel between
"local" and "remote_0" and I would like to add another one between
"local" and "remote_1" which is IDENTICAL to "remote_0"; I used the
same config files on "remote_1" as on "remote_0" - minus the
appropriate IP changes, of course - but it refuses to work.

Thanks in advance,
Sorin