Subject: Re: Slow NFS transfer start
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/31/2004 23:26:13
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Arto Huusko wrote:
> What is the cause of this idleness during the initial transfer?

No idea - you didn't tell us much about your config, though.
Maybe mountd having some resolver-hickups/timeouts when first accessing
the file system? Try NFS over UDP vs. TCP. Try ktracing mountd and nfsd on
the server. Snoop network traffic between NFS client and server, and also
all traffic from your server in that time (I expect some DNS queries that
don't get answered). Making sure the clients mentioned in the NFS server's
/etc/exports are in it's /etc/hosts as well and making sure nsswitch.conf
uses it first may have an impact. (Well, the usual troubleshooting... I
think you get the idea).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>