Subject: Re: ARP problems.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/20/2004 13:51:36
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:
> > A solution to this is to send out a new ARP request some time before
> > the entry is removed (if the routing entry has been active since the
> > last ARP update), and let the reply refresh the ARP entry, hence
> > avoid the arp entry update delay time.
>
> Um, why update the entry at all if it's already known _and_ in active use?

Good question.  That was the old BSD behaviour, but was later changed
by some reason I don't know.  It would be the for sure simplest
solution (adding one line of code).

RFC826 suggests that new arp requests should be sent before the
old arp entry is deleted, therefore I gave this as an example
of a solution to the problem.  Which solution does not matter to
me, only that the problem must be solved.

-- Ragge