Subject: Cisco Aironet fails to attach (all commands timeout)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David P. Reese Jr. <daver@gomerbud.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/25/2004 18:48:33
I had so much trouble finding older rev D-Link and Netgear cards that I
decided to get a Cisco Aironet card because it would "Just Work".  Well,
it didn't.

The machine is NetBSD/i386 1.6.2.  Here's the issue...

an0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: vendor 0x14b9 product 0x0350
an0: interrupting at irq 10
an0: command 0x8 param 0x0 timeout
an0: failed to load config data
an0: failed to attach controller

The third line appears because I commented out the IFF_DEBUG if() statement
in the AN_TIMEOUT block of sys/dev/ic/an.c:an_cmd().  I get the same problem
on current.

It looks like the card is timing out on the AN_CMD_READCFG command.

Just for fun, I tried using an_cmd() to do things like AN_CMD_FW_RESTART,
AN_CMD_NOOP2 and AN_CMD_DISABLE before the driver tries to do
AN_CMD_READCFG.  These all timed out.

Any ideas or should I consider the card hosed?

   David P. Reese, Jr.                                  daver at gomerbud.com