Subject: Re: tcpdump and wi(4) (was Re: ipsec, path mtu, and fragmentation)
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/07/2004 16:28:32
--Y/WcH0a6A93yCHGr

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:22:42PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> The short answer is that I do *not* expect RTS/CTS to be be on by default.

The AP (linksys WAP11) doesn't seem to have an "on/off" setting for
RTS/CTS.  It has an "RTS/CTS threshold", which is a number (no units
evident) 0-2436. The default, and current, value is the top of the
range. The "help" says I shouldn't change it, and if I do only by
small amounts.

> The long answer is that a standalone AP will not usually use RTS/CTS
> because, by definition, no stations are hidden from it. Its clients
> might use RTS/CTS, however.

How do I tell if the client is trying to use it? Watch for them in
tcpdump -D ieee802_11?  Some more formal way (like an ifconfig or
wiconfig setting?)

--
Dan.
--Y/WcH0a6A93yCHGr