Subject: Re: SLIP/serial driver Problem?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/03/2004 13:37:02
> Goodness gracious, isn't it beyond time to remove SLIP support?

No.  Not unless/until PPP can easily be set up to handle a hardwired
line between two machines and reliably bring the link back in the
presence of all combinations of reboot timing.

With SLIP this Just Works.  With PPP, I struggled with it for hours and
finally punted back to SLIP, so whether it's possible or not, it's
certainly not easy.  (This meant some hacking, too, as I wanted an IPv6
transport - I added v6 transport to SLIP.)

> [...] SLIP has had known problems since circa 1988.  PPP should "just
> work".

Maybe it should, but it doesn't, or at least didn't, for me.

And I know at least a little bit about setting up PPP, too; I've set up
both dialout and dialin sides and have had no trouble making it work
for that sort of setup.  But I never could make it handle what I
describe above.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign