Subject: Re: BIND8 upgrade?
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/01/2004 14:50:36
[ On Sunday, February 1, 2004 at 22:06:41 (+0700), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BIND8 upgrade?
>
>     Date:        Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:44:08 +0000 (UTC)
>     From:        tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler)
>
>   | Because it was a very old snapshot. And there several BIND advisories
>   | published after its release.
>
> Which?   The most recent BIND advisory I can find on the CERT site
> is from November 2002, which is before the 20021217 snapshot.  What's
> more, that advisory (and most of the others) applies only to bind4
> and bind8.
>
> Which particular advisory do you believe affects bind 9.3 ?

Hold on a moment here.  This doesn't really have anything to do with
advisories.

The current, and recommended version of BIND is 9.2.3 -- which fixes
important bugs in 9.2.2 but adds no new features.

9.2.3 was release in October of 2003, i.e. nearly a year after the
snapshot you're suggesting be used.

There is no _public_ release of 9.3, and no private releases should be
used in any packaging system like pkgsrc.

The ancient 9.3 snapshots should not be used -- they are not stable code
despite how they may behave on any one given system or configuration!

Creating a net/bind9-current that used the publicly avaliable 20021217
snapshot would be the only way for pkgsrc to go, but I'm not sure I'd
recommend even that.  If/when there's a new 9.3 or 9.4 snapshot then
maybe it would make sense to start with a net/bind9-current, but given
the state of the old snapshots I'd say not before then.

net/bind8 should of course now be upgraded to 8.4.4.

--
						Greg A. Woods