Subject: Re: BIND8 upgrade?
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/28/2004 17:54:32
[ On Wednesday, January 28, 2004 at 14:57:49 (+0000), Chris Pinnock wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BIND8 upgrade?
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:04:15PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > 	question.  do we want BIND 8.4.4 (latest version on 8.4 branch)
> > 	or would like to stay on BIND 8.3 branch?
> > 	staying in 8.3 branch would make things easier for releng-1-6 folks
> > 	i guess.  if we move to 8.4.4 IPv6 transport will be supported (which
> > 	is REALLY GOOD to me), but may impose some pain to releng-1-6 folks.
> >
> > 	on BIND9, we are still waiting for BIND 9.3 branch release.  BIND 9.2
> > 	has various drawbacks (such as unneeded A6 queries) so we do not want
> > 	9.2.
>
> Could we import into a seperate dist directory (src/dist/bind84) so that
> it would only cause releng problems in the reachover Makefiles (if at all
> if changes are minor between 8.3 revisions)?

The secret of course is to not use "cvs import" in situations where it
was not designed to be used.  :-)

The _right_ way to do this is to create a normal branch for the vendor
releases of third-party code and to manually check in new releases on
that branch and then to manually merge them to the trunk (and to other
branches) when and where needed.

--
						Greg A. Woods