Subject: Re: multiple Tx queues
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/09/2004 09:55:23
  Here is my proposal in code for associating VLAN tags with hardware
  queues.

OK, but...

    % pass out to vlan0 proto ospf
    % pass out to vlan2 tcp port ftp-data
    % pass out to vlan1

Perhaps it would help if you gave a problem statement.  Creating
vlans, giving them different qos treatment, and then using ipfilter to
direct traffic onto them (if I followed your example) seems odd to me,
when you could be using CBQ, PRIQ or something else (from ALTQ)
instead.

If what you really want is a bunch of vlans (with vlan tagging on the
wire), and you want to do qos processing of the hardware-level output
queue to give priority to some vlans, then I would think you'd want to
add vlan tag as an option to the ALTQ classifier so you can use it as
a CBQ/PRIQ selector.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>