Subject: Re: Using a NetBSD system as a WLAN access point
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/28/2003 14:30:40
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:43:16AM -0500, Michael Hertrick wrote:
> Matthias Scheler wrote:
>
> >because my good old Airport Basestation died I'm considering to use one
> >of my NetBSD systems as WLAN access point for my 802.11b network. What
> >hardware (wireless cards) and software (NetBSD 1.6.2 vs. NetBSD-current)
> >do I need for that?
> >

> Don't buy a new D-Link DWL-520 <B>.  It's still based on Prism2.5,
> requires PCI2.2, but revision B.  At BBuy in the states they're the
> cheapest on the shelf, hence appealing, and they're on the supported
> list in wi(4).... but it doesn't work with 1.6 or current (PR
> kern/23576).  <pray>Unless by some miracle I get it figured out today
> </pray>.

I don't think your D-Link DWL-520 Rev. B is *new*. It is probably stock
that was forgotten in a warehouse somewhere. The DWL-520 has switched
from Prism to ADMtek to Realtek. Without knowing a lot about the WLAN
manufacturing process, I'm guessing that D-Link would not ask for the
factory to reconfigure to make the revision before last, especially
since that revision contains more, and more costly, parts.

Dave