Subject: Re: Using a NetBSD system as a WLAN access point
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/28/2003 05:43:16
Matthias Scheler wrote:

>because my good old Airport Basestation died I'm considering to use one
>of my NetBSD systems as WLAN access point for my 802.11b network. What
>hardware (wireless cards) and software (NetBSD 1.6.2 vs. NetBSD-current)
>do I need for that?

Don't buy a new D-Link DWL-520 <B>.  It's still based on Prism2.5,
requires PCI2.2, but revision B.  At BBuy in the states they're the
cheapest on the shelf, hence appealing, and they're on the supported
list in wi(4).... but it doesn't work with 1.6 or current (PR
kern/23576).  <pray>Unless by some miracle I get it figured out today
</pray>.

Can't speak for any other cards at the moment...  Be sure to check the
return policy before buying a wi(4) card for anything but Winblows.  ;-)

~Mike.