Subject: Re: kernel ip_randomid() and libc randomid(3) still "broken"
To: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@juniper.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/26/2003 17:16:48
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:51:32PM -0800, Dennis Ferguson wrote:
> If this is truly "*not acceptable*" then we're doomed even with the
> full 16-bit ID space.  The bandwidths of most things Internet-related

There are some mitigating factors.

We could go to an ID per n-tuple implementation which would add bits to
the space if more than one application is the source of the high volume
of data.

High bandwidth data sources are probably newer systems, and are
therefore more likely to implement PMTUD, and not generate any fragments
to begin with.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown