Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: RFC 2338 (VRRP) and US patent #5,473,599]
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/25/2003 10:11:19
--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:00:23PM -0500, Michael Hertrick wrote:

> ... They also=20
> have a right to assert patents against anyone who asserts a patent of=20
> their own against Cisco.

That is, this "license" is fine for anybody who did never hold, and will
never hold, any patent, be it directly, or through anything he owns
directly or indirectly, right? E.g., were I to implement VRRP on work time
without the uni-bonn lawyers first giving me an OK I'd be in deep trouble.

Basically, you exchange a license to one of Cisco's patents with a license
to all of your patents. If you hold any patent that Cisco would be currently
interested in using, you should be able to get a better deal. Which is, why
you might want to "prefer a license with royalties".

IANAL and not speaking for Cisco, neither is this the official position
of my employer etc.

Regards,
	-is

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx