Subject: [Fwd: Re: RFC 2338 (VRRP) and US patent #5,473,599]
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/24/2003 16:00:23
--------------070605030700030609010007

To anyone who is curious,
The attached, unmodified e-mail is from Robert Barr, VP of Intellectual
Property for Cisco and explains their policy with respect to VRRP. I saw
plenty of messages that were supposedly from him posted all over the
Internet, but really needed to see it from him in order to trust it.

I gather from his message that so long as the "product" is 100%
compliant with RFC 2338, no more; no less, then anyone is free to
implement it without charge, royalties, and without Cisco asserting
patent claims against you, even if you're selling the product for
profit. Step outside the bounds of RFC 2338, however, and you're fair
game unless you have a royalty-bearing license with Cisco. They also
have a right to assert patents against anyone who asserts a patent of
their own against Cisco.

Please correct me if I've misinterpreted the message.

The question still remains, but hopefully can be answered now: Are the
VRRP license conditions incompatible with NetBSD's project goals?

~Mike.

--------------070605030700030609010007
 filename="Re: RFC 2338 (VRRP) and US patent #5,473,599"

	by lsh131.siteprotect.com (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id hAOJwhD18461
	for <m.hertrick@neovera.com>; Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:58:43 -0600
  by sj-iport-3.cisco.com with ESMTP; 24 Nov 2003 12:00:05 +0000
	by sj-core-3.cisco.com (8.12.6/8.12.6) with ESMTP id hAOJwdrX026823;
	Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:39 -0800 (PST)