Subject: Re: PR misc/23431 (CARP) Update.
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/19/2003 08:35:51
CARP now seems to do what it's supposed to do on my NetBSD
installations.  In other words, a backup becomes master if the master
goes off-line.  And only the master listens on the virtual IP address.
Still a lot of testing to do, though.  Sorry to everyone who downloaded
the old patches just to see CARP not work.  This mod is a lot better
than that.

There were some timer issues I fixed that took care of the "invalid
hash" check.  The ether_input thing had me stumped for a bit, but I
changed the call to carp_forus to be similar to the bridge_input call...
also had to change the carp_forus function quite a bit.  After all that
it stopped responding to requests for the virtual host when in the
backup state (that's a good thing ;-)... the details are in the diff.

I'm fairly confident that if you apply the new patches to -current you
will be able to configure and test/use CARP.

ftp://63.251.83.132/pub/NetBSD/patches/README
ftp://63.251.83.132/pub/NetBSD/patches/CARP-111903.diff

As for file versions, you'll notice I didn't mess with that.  I don't
know what I'm doing there.  I mean, I know how to count and all that...
just don't want to assume anything.

~Mike.