Subject: PR misc/23431 (CARP)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/14/2003 00:30:10
I posted PR misc/23431 (should have been kernel?) for experimental CARP
support for -current.  (only tested on i386 -current)

The OpenBSD man page for CARP just about sucks right now, so I put my
own documentation in the PR.  Here's a link to the man page anyway:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=carp&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

The impatient can download the patches from
ftp://63.251.83.132/pub/NetBSD/patches/carp-111303.diff
You'll have to add the following to your kernel config file:

pseudo-device   carp   2
options   CARP

You may or may not also want to change vrrp to carp in
/etc/protocols...  OpenBSD pretty much replaced all references to VRRP
with CARP.  My patches, like OpenBSD's implementation, use 224.0.0.18
and protocol id 112 for advertisements (same as VRRP).  The vhid is in
the same location as VRRP's vrid in the advertisement.  Since there are
256 id's to choose from, you should'nt have any problem using CARP and
VRRP on the same LAN.

There's still a lot to do, this is just enough to get started.  The rest
of the details are in the PR.

~Mike.