Subject: Re: Multicasting problems with NetBSD 1.6
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ivo Vachkov <ivo@unilans.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/09/2003 13:35:15
Andreas Røsdal wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having some problems with multicasting an UDP packet
> on FreeBSD 1.6. I'm using C code which is similar
> to the attached mtest.c. The problem is that on
> Linux and Solaris, I use the following line to join
> a the multicast group:
> setsockopt(s, IPPROTO_IP, IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP ...)
>
> However, when this code is run on NetBSD, it doesn't join the multicast
> group. The code works for the all-hosts group (224.0.0.1), but not any
> other multicast group.
>
> So what's the proper may to join a multicast group in NetBSD 1.6?
> Does anyone know of any code in C which does Multicasting that I can have
> a look at ?

I can't say the proper way but you could probably look at zebra/quagga
OSPFd source code which uses multicast (224.0.0.5 and 224.0.0.6 i
think). It's known this code to work on NetBSD so they must have a
solution already ...
Other thing that comes in mind is using bpf ... but this is NOT the
right way things be done.