Subject: Re: fxp bug triggering hung vnlock()'ed NFS client
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Peter Staplin <GeorgePS@XMission.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/05/2003 22:50:39
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:33:03 -0500 (EST)
> From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
> To: Artem Belevich <art@riverstonenet.com>
> Cc: "Stephen M. Jones" <smj@cirr.com>,
> Subject: Re: fxp bug triggering hung vnlock()'ed NFS client
>
> [[ moving from port-alpha to tech-net (and tech-kern) because this is
>    definitely not architecture specific ]]
>
> [ On Tuesday, November 4, 2003 at 18:06:55 (-0800), Artem Belevich wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: How can I help with hung vnlock()'ed clients?
> >
> > The problem usually happens on the box with Intel's i82559 NIC
> > (if_fxp). The NIC in question occasionally gets stuck for about a
> > minute, prints "fxp0: device timeout" on the console and starts
> > working again. This may or may not have something to do with the
> > problem.
>
> Hey!  I was just going to post about that.  I was wondering if anyone
> else was having problems with timeouts on fxp interfaces with i82559
> chips.

I have no problems with my card and the fxp driver in NetBSD 1.6.1
(with cvs stable updates).  I grepped through my logs just to be sure and
found nothing.

I'm running:
fxp0 at pci2 dev 9 function 0: i82559 Ethernet, rev 8
fxp0: interrupting at irq 11
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:02:b3:99:69:b2
inphy0 at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4
inphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

> I've been having now repeatable problems with the on-board fxp interface
> of an Intel STL/2 (PIII) motherboard.

I'm using a stock Dell with a:
cpu0: Intel Pentium 4 (686-class)...

> I've got several of these machines in use with an older version of the
> driver (circa 2001/06/24), and they've never ever complained of an SCB
> timeout.  This particular machine ran as a very heavily used Squid
> server for many months without fail.

I've used this card in NetBSD 1.6.1 for several months without problems.

> However I've been testing it in 10baseT mode with 1.6.x (it was used in
> 100baseTX-FDX mode in production with the older driver).
>
> I should probably try it in 10baseT-FDX mode as my switch does support
> full duplex.

ifconfig -a reports:
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:02:b3:99:69:b2
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)

If there is anything I could help test let me know.

George
--
Bringing you quality nerdy products since 1981.
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/