Subject: router forgets routing
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/05/2003 06:23:02
Hi,

I have a weird problem with a small home router, which happens
occasionally. The box is i386 running -current from 08/23/2003 (1.6W).
Its main purpose is to do NAT on a ADSL connection, and to maintain a
pppd->ssh->sshd->pppd connection to another, remote 1.6W router for
connecting the two local subnets (192.168.2.0 locally, 192.168.1.0 on
the remote side).

The problem is that from time to time, the local router ceases to
forward packets between the local interface and the vpn's ppp1. It
doesn't cease forwarding altogether, however, because the Internet can
be accessed from the local 192.168.2.0 network through the router and
its ppp0 interface. The appropriate route for the 192.168.1.0 net is
also intact, and the boxes on that remote site can be pinged from the
router, but not from behind it.

Whenever I restart the vpn (which also deletes the appropriate route
from the routing table, and reinstalls it upon connecting) then
everything works OK.

Does anyone have any idea how I could track down what is happening?

thx
mortee