Subject: Re: NFS/RPC and server clusters
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/16/2003 07:57:44
> > If a system sends a large TCP message it will go out as back to back
> > ethernet frames.
>
> To a max of 4 segments, assuming following RFC recommendations.

Why? a full window of TCP data will be sent (at least once the window
has opened).  The ethernet card will just shovel them out.

Ethernet cards do use more complicated backoff algorithms than when I
first saw that traffic pattern on a LAN, but I don't know if they go as
far as deliberately generating collisions because another system seems
to be hogging the network.  Some store and forward switches/router
do so when there buffer space is getting full.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk