Subject: Re: How to detect net cable plug-in
To: Brian Grayson (home) <bgrayson@austin.rr.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/15/2003 08:06:01
(Catching up on old mail...)

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:42:00AM -0500, Brian Grayson (home) wrote:
>   Here's what I did to ifwatchd, and how things would ideally work:

Cool, I would like to see your patches, please contact me off-list.

>   - this causes another RTM_IFINFO message (rt_ifmsg() in
>     dev/mii/mii_physubr.c) for both the down and up

I see duplicated messages in -current since some time for RTM_NEWADDR and
RMT_DELADDR too, which causes serious problems for some kind of ip-up scripts.
This needs to be fixed, somehow. I haven't looked at details yet - this started
with a kernel change, but the fix may involve keeping a bit more state in
ifwatchd to filter out the unwanted messages.

Martin