Subject: Re: How to detect net cable plug-in
To: Brian Grayson (home) <bgrayson@austin.rr.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/15/2003 03:52:02
    Date:        Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:10:44 -0500
    From:        "Brian Grayson \(home\)" <bgrayson@austin.rr.com>

  | I'm no networking guru.  Can anyone tell me if that ifconfig to
  | 0.0.0.0 is really necessary?

It probably is - but not in all cases.   The script does it so make sure
that it is always going to work.

For David Young: to understand the script you need to understand the
DHCP client state machine, and the ISC dhclient code, and how it runs
the state machine.  There are bugs in the script (there are a couple of
open PRs I filed on it... complete with patches, if anyone wants to spend
a few minutes) - but nothing that is relevant to current issues that I know
of.   The reported problems are I believe all driver problems, with some
drivers (and the ex driver in particular).

kre