Subject: Re: ipv6 over PPP
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/25/2003 11:16:18
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:47:10PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
[...]
> Opinions?
>
> Should I dive into fixing NetBSD to make it possible to act "sensibly"?
>
> Has no-one else run into this kind of issue before (does no-one else do
> IPv6 over dial up from a network, rather than an isolated host) ?

I use IPv6 over PPP here (great ISP).

The thing I don't understand is you want your router to act as an
auto-configured host WRT the PPP connection, and as a complete router
for the rest of the network.

Shouldn't the router use a static configuration? Or a routing protocol
to handle dynamic links?

I really think this is the point here. You seem to want to push the
auto-configuration to a very high level.

I don't think a setup where you have a mobile setup connecting randomly
to several ISPs concurrently is reasonable. If the network is mobile,
you'll have a default route to the link you're connected to, and if it
is only about having multiple links, then you have to go with a routing
protocol.

Quentin Garnier.